Welcome to the Cleaning Institute of Australia website terms and conditions. These terms and conditions constitute the full and complete service agreement (the “Agreement”) between you (the “Customer”) and the Cleaning Institute of Australia (“CIA”) of 2/2 Phillip Court, Port Melbourne, Australia for the provision of services by the CIA.
Please take some time to review this Agreement. Use of our services constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
1. cleaning services
- Subject to the terms of this Agreement, CIA agrees to provide cleaning and maintenance services (the “Service”) to the Customer at an address specified by the Customer (the “Premises”).
- The Service will be for such cleaning and maintenance duties as agreed with the Customer at the time of accepting the estimate.
- CIA will provide labour (the “Labour”) to attend the Premises to provide the Service at a time and date mutually agreed between CIA and the Customer (the “Service Time”).
- CIA endeavours to provide the Service faithfully, diligently and in a timely and professional manner.
2. additions and amendments
- Any changes to the Service to be provided must be agreed by CIA prior to the Service Time.
- If the Customer requires any additional services or variations at the time the Service is being performed, the Customer must first contact CIA by telephone, who may agree to provide the additional services in its absolute discretion. The Labour is not authorised to agree to any changes to the Service being provided. The Customer must not request such changes directly from the Labour.
3. customer representations and warranties
The Customer represents and warrants that:
- it will provide a safe working environment at the Premises for the Labour to perform the Service;
- the Labour will have unencumbered and unobstructed access to those areas of the Premises requiring the Service;
- it will provide the Labour with access to all services and utilities (including hot and cold water, electricity, and rubbish bins) as required by the Labour to provide the Service;
- CIA will provide all standard cleaning products and materials required by the Cleaner to provide the Service, unless other arrangements have been made with CIA;
- All estimates will attract a charge of 5% of the total cleaning cost to cover all standard cleaning products and materials used by the CIA. Any specific products required for a job and sourced by the CIA will be discussed with the client and charged accordingly;
- it will advise Labour prior to the commencement of the Service of any hazards, slippery surfaces, risks or dangers, ingrained dirt, grease or grime at the Premises;
- it is authorised to use the Premises and obtain the provision of Service;
- the Customer maybe required to assist the Labour to move heavy items during the Service to enable cleaning behind or under heavy items (eg. a bed, fridge, bookshelf, or other furniture); and
- it will secure or remove any fragile, delicate, breakable or valuable items, including cash, jewellery, works of art, antiques, or items of sentimental value prior to the commencement of the Service.
4. health and safety risks
In addition to the obligations and warranties set out in clause 3 above, the Customer acknowledges and agrees that:
- the Labour is entitled to undertake a job safety analysis before the commencement of any work to assess the health and safety risk at the Premises;
- the Labour may, either before or during the provision of the Service not use or cease using any materials or cleaning equipment provided by the Customer if the Labour thinks, in their absolute discretion, that the use of such materials or cleaning equipment poses a risk to health and safety.
- the Labour may, either before or during the provision of the Service not provide or cease the provision of the Service where carrying out the Service presents, in the absolute discretion of the Labour, a risk to health and safety.
5. no engagement of cleaners
- The Customer acknowledges CIA invests significant resources in recruiting, selecting and training its Labour. Unless CIA gives prior written permission, the Customer must not, directly or indirectly, engage, employ or contract with any Labour to provide domestic services to the Customer or any associate of the customer for any period during which services are provided by CIA or for a period within 12 months after the conclusion of any Service.
- The Customer acknowledges that CIA may suffer loss and damage, including, without limitation consequential loss, as a result of a breach of this clause by the Customer.
6. job quotations & bookings
- The Customer may make an enquiry either by telephone or email or on the CIA website via a Quick Quote request or Contact Us form.
- The Customer must inform CIA by specifying the type of clean required; ie: vacate clean end of tenancy, spring clean, regular service at the time of quotation.
- The actual price payable by the Customer is calculated by the scope of work outlined by the Customer during the initial brief received by CIA over the phone.
- At the time of booking the Customer must provide details of any hazards, dangers or safety risks, defects, ingrained dirt, grease or grime located at the Premises;
- Any price quoted by CIA is an estimate only based on CIA’s experience, without inspection, and based on information provided by the Customer. Subject to this clause, quotes are valid for a period of 30 days from the date of the quote.
- If at the commencement or during the course of providing the Service, it is apparent that the actual cost of the Service will exceed the quote provided by CIA, CIA will provide the Customer with the option to pay an increased fee to complete the Service, or pay the quoted amount without the Service being completed.
- CIA reserves the right not to accept a booking for any reason.
- For larger jobs, CIA reserve the right to charge a 50% commencement fee to be paid prior to commencement of Service.
- CIA reserves the right not to accept a booking for any reason.
7. payment terms
- The Customer agrees to pay the price quoted by CIA in full on receipt of invoice.
- If a 50% commencement fee is applicable to the Service and no payment has been made by the Service time, CIA will use reasonable endeavours to contact the Customer for payment. In the event that CIA cannot contact the Customer or payment is not made by the Service time, the Customer will be deemed to have cancelled the Service, and the Customer must pay any cancellation fees or charges due set out in clause 14.
- Payments may be made via bank transfer or cheque. Payments by bank transfer should be made to:
Account Name: Cleaning Institute of Australia
Account No: 279802
Transaction Ref: Invoice Ref No or Surname/Address
Cheque payments should be made payable to CIA Pty Ltd.
- Unless specified otherwise, all prices and quotations are expressed to be GST exclusive amounts.
9. late payment fee
- Where CIA has agreed to invoice the Customer for payment of fees after the Service has been completed, the Customer agrees to pay in full, all fees due, upon receipt of invoice.
- The Customer agrees that if CIA has not received payment in full for the Service within one calendar month of the original invoice date then a late payment fee of 10% applies monthly to balances outstanding.
- In addition to the amounts set out above, the Customer agrees to indemnify CIA for all legal costs (on a solicitor and own client or full indemnity basis, whichever is greater) and other expenses incurred by CIA in connection with a demand, action, or other proceeding (including mediation, out of court settlement or any action taken for recovery of debt from the Customer) arising out of a breach of these terms including the failure by the Customer to pay an amount by the due date.
If the Customer is dissatisfied for any reason with the Service provided, it must inform CIA within 24 hours of completion of the Service. CIA strives to achieve 100% customer satisfaction and will endeavour to resolve the problem quickly and efficiently. Subject to clause 11, CIA may, at its discretion, offer the Customer either of the following:
- a partial or full refund;
- re-supply of the Service without charge;
- such other remedy as deemed appropriate by CIA.
11. exclusions and limitations
- The only conditions and warranties which are binding on CIA in respect of the state, quality or condition of goods and services supplied by CIA to Customers are those imposed and required to be binding by statute (including the Trade Practices Act 1974).
- To the extent permitted by statute, the liability, if any, of CIA is, at CIA ‘s option, limited to and completely discharged by the resupply of the Service. CIA is not responsible for:
- not completing or providing the Service as a result of a breach of a warranty by the Customer in clause 3 (including a failure by the Customer to provide, utility services, a safe working environment or unencumbered access to the Premises); or
- any damages caused by defective cleaning materials or cleaning equipment provided by the Customer;
- not completing or providing the Service as a result of the Cleaner not proceeding for health and safety reasons under clause 4;
- any loss or damage incurred by the Customer or any third party as a result of the effects of a force majeure, being any event beyond the reasonable control of CIA;
- not completing or providing the Service due to an act or omission of the Customer or any other person at the Premises during provision of the Service;
- existing dirt, wear, damage or stains that can not be completely cleaned or removed;
- any wear or discolouring of fabric or surfaces becoming more visible once dirt has been removed;
- any loss incurred as a result of any breakage or damage to goods, items of value (including antiques, items of sentimental value) or the Premises; or
- the cost of any key replacement or locksmith fees, unless keys were lost by CIA or the Cleaner.
- Except as provided in this clause, all conditions and warranties implied by law in respect of the state, quality or condition of the Service which may apart from this clause be binding on CIA are excluded.
- The Customer acknowledges that the results of any services provided may vary depending on a number of factors (including materials used, equipment provided, time elapsed since Premises was last cleaned, and nature of cleaning required), and that CIA gives no guarantee as to the actual results of the Service.
- Except to the extent provided in this clause, CIA has no liability (including liability in negligence) to any person for any loss or damage, consequential or otherwise, suffered or incurred by that person in relation to the products or services provided by CIA (including any loss caused by, or resulting directly or indirectly from, any failure, defect or deficiency or any kind of or in the products used or services provided by CIA).
The Customer indemnifies CIA against:
- all losses or liabilities arising directly or indirectly as a result of the provision of the Service including all losses or liabilities caused as a result of a breach of the warranties of the Customer set out in clause 3; and
- all legal costs (on a solicitor and own client or full indemnity basis, whichever is greater) and other expenses incurred by CIA in connection with a demand, action, arbitration or other proceeding (including mediation, compromise, out of court settlement or appeal and including any action taken for the recovery of a debt from the Customer).
13. accidents, breakage, damage & theft
- The Customer must inform CIA of any incident where an accident, breakage, damage to property or theft has occurred due to any act of the Cleaner within 24 hours of completion of the Service.
- To the extent permitted by law, the Customer is not entitled to claim any loss for any incident if the incident is not reported to CIA within 24 hours of completion of the Service.
- To the extent permitted by law, damage or loss to the following items is specifically excluded from the liability of CIA under these terms and conditions: cash, jewellery, art, antiques, and items of sentimental value.
14. cancellation fees
- The Customer must provide CIA with at least 24 hours notice prior to the Service Time, if they wish to suspend, postpone or cancel the Service for any reason.
- In the event that such notice has been given, CIA will endeavour to reschedule the Service if required.
- Cancellations received after 10am on the business day prior to service will incur a $70 ex GST (regular service) or 25% ex GST (one off service) cancellation fee for administrative costs and loss.
15. fee for non-access to premises
In the event that the Customer does not provide unencumbered access the Premises for CIA or its Cleaners to provide the Service, the Customer agrees to pay a cancellation fee equivalent to that set out in clause 14.3
- This Agreement may be terminated by the Customer by providing at least 24 hours notice prior to the Service Time.
- Subject to clause 18, CIA may terminate this Agreement by providing the Customer with at least 24 hours notice prior to the Service time.
- CIA may terminate this Agreement with immediate effect if the Customer is in breach of this Agreement, and in the opinion of CIA, that breach is incapable of remedy.
- The Customer acknowledges that any information provided by the Customer may be used by CIA for the purpose of providing the Service. CIA agrees not to share any information provided by the Customer with any third party not directly involved in the provision of the Service (unless required to do so by law).
- The Customer agrees to CIA communicating with them electronically and/or via other means in order to provide the Service or for reasons related to the provision of the Service.
- CIA will take all reasonable precautions to protect personal information provided by the Customer from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration or destruction.
18. changes to this agreement
- CIA reserves the right to update or modify these terms and conditions at any time without prior notice, and may do so by publishing an updated agreement on its website. Each updated agreement will take effect 24 hours after it has been published on the website.
- The Customer agrees that any use of the Service following any such change, whether as a single job or as part of a regular cleaning schedule, constitutes their agreement to follow and be bound by the terms and conditions as changed.
19. law & jurisdiction
The Customer and CIA acknowledge and accept that this Agreement shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Victoria and both agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Victoria in the event of any dispute.
The Customer agrees that if any term or provision is held invalid, void or unenforceable, then that provision will be considered severable and the remaining terms and provisions shall continue to be binding.
The content of this Agreement is protected by international copyright laws and may be used for personal reference only. Subject to applicable law, permission to copy, alter, reproduce, publish, transmit and/or otherwise distribute this content is forbidden without first obtaining the prior written permission of the Cleaning Institute of Australia Pty Ltd.
The name ‘Cleaning Institute of Australia’ and the CIA logo are both registered trademarks. ‘Dirt is our enemy’, ‘Grime is a crime’ and ‘You do the grime, we’ll do the time’ are registered trademarks. Subject to applicable law, permission to use the CIA logo and registered names is forbidden without first obtaining the prior written permission of Cleaning Institute of Australia Pty Ltd.